Stock quote API ?

Irv Kalb Irv at furrypants.com
Sun Mar 11 00:18:50 EST 2018

Hi,

I teach courses on beginning Python (Python3).  In one of my topics, I explain how we can write simple programs that reach out to the internet and download data (request/response).

I show a number of examples using:   urllib.request.urlopen( <urlWIthParameters> )  to get things like weather data, currency exchange rates, etc.

I just tried my examples again, and they are all working fine, except for one.  I had an example where I used the call above to get simple (American) stock quotes from Yahoo.  However, with this example, now I get a bunch errors.  In tracking it down, I found that Yahoo has shut down this public API, discontinued this service.

So ... I am looking for a replacement.  I have done quite a bit of searching, but I have not been able to find a simple way to get a stock quote (no need for historical data - most recent price is fine).  I have found many examples where people have built custom packages for doing this type of thing.  However, I am in a college environment, and I cannot install any new packages on the computers there.  I've also seen examples of people building SQL-style queries to get this type of information, but that's beyond what I am trying to teach.

Wondering if anyone has any example of an API where I could just make a call using Python Standard Library interfaces to get stock quotes?

Thanks in advance,

Irv