RFC: Proposal: Deterministic Object Destruction

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 17:21:10 EST 2018

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 9:09 AM, Ooomzay <ooomzay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not trying to dissuade you from using RAII in your own applications,
>> if it works for you, great.
>
> Unfortunately, despite having conquered it, without a _guarantee_ of this
> behaviour from the language, or at least one mainstream implementation,
> I will not invest in python again. Nor recommend any one else with a serious
> real world resource management application to do so. This was the original
> motive for my PEP.

What a pity Python will have to lose someone whose sole goal was to
write C++ code. Had you but chosen to write Python code instead, you
could have saved us all a hundred emails or so and just used the
'with' statement, same as the rest of us do. Considering that "real
world resource management" is *exactly* the purpose of the 'with'
statement, I honestly don't see what the problem is.

ChrisA