How to make Python run as fast (or faster) than Julia

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 16:18:03 EST 2018

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 7:45 AM, Python <python at bladeshadow.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 09:57:06AM +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> Besides, if you want Python with no GIL so you can run threaded code, why
>> aren't you using IronPython or Jython?
>
> But this is just another oversimplified argument.  In the real world
> there rather often exist constraints which have nothing to do with
> what is technically possible, but which make impractical or infeasible
> what may be technically possible.
>
> Python is often a preferred solution because it is often fantastic for
> rapid implementation and maintainability.  The GIL's interference
> with threaded code performance has, for me at least, on several
> occasions been...  disappointing (perf costs of removing it aside)
> because it gets in the way of choosing Python for such solutions.
> Jython and IronPython are simply not feasible options for me, for
> multiple reasons that have zero to do with their technical
> suitability.

Have you actually tried it and run into problems, or do you succumb to
the FUD and give up before implementing? I can think of only one time
when I tried to speed up a program by multithreading it and was unable
to due to locking. (And actually, it wasn't even the GIL that was the
problem - it was a non-thread-safe library I was calling on, and
*that* meant everything serialized.) "One time, people!" -- Wasabi

ChrisA