RFC: Proposal: Deterministic Object Destruction

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Mar 2 00:57:58 EST 2018

On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 22:46:56 -0700, Ian Kelly wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:35 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 4:16 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The problem with this example of course is that the variable 'e' is
>>> scoped to the except block and automatically del'ed when it exits.
>>
>> Or, to be more accurate: The language design acknowledges that this
>> reference cycle is a fundamental problem, and the *solution* is that
>> there's an implicit "e = None; del e" at the end of the except block.
>>
>> You can easily defeat that protection with "except Exception as ee: e =
>> ee", if you want to demonstrate the cycle.
>
> Yes, but how often does this happen in practice? This situation was
> billed as "an EXTREMELY real-world example". In the real world, most of
> the time when you have an exception, you log it or handle it, and then
> you discard it.

What difference does that make it? For the period of time you are in the
except block, you have a cycle. Nobody said the cycle has to persist for
a long time.

In other words, every single time you catch an exception in Python 3, you
have the situation Chris was asked to demonstrate. That seems very common
to me :-)

--
Steve