list initialize with ?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jun 30 21:47:34 EDT 2018

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 05:49:03 -0700, Sharan Basappa wrote:

> On Saturday, 30 June 2018 17:48:05 UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano  wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 04:50:10 -0700, Sharan Basappa wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone explain to me what the ? does here:
>> >
>> > ignore_words = ['?']
>>
>> Its a question mark inside a string, which is inside a list. You can
>> put anything you like in strings:
[...]
> oh, ok. I assumed that ? has some special meaning. I should be able to
> find out more.

It could have whatever special meaning the creator of the code chooses to
give it. Without knowing the context of what you are doing with it, what
libraries you are using, what functions it gets passed to, it could mean
anything.

Your question is like asking:

    "I have a variable called x, what does it mean?"

Without more information, how could we tell?

> PS: Actually, its not my code. I am using an online code as reference
> for my research.

Then you should check the documentation for this online code.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson