error in os.chdir

Sharan Basappa sharan.basappa at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 10:34:46 EDT 2018

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:55:53 UTC+5:30, Karsten Hilbert  wrote:

> > > Please don't do that. It's the wrong solution -- all you are doing is
> > > postponing failure. It will *seem* to work, until one day you will write
> > > something like this:
> > >
> > >     directory = r'D:\directory\'
> > >
> > > and you will get a mysterious failure. Chris gave you the right solution:
> > > use forward slashes instead of backslashes for all paths.
> >
> > alright. I will do that but still I don't have an answer why I got the error in the first place.
>
> For that you'll have to read up on strings and escaping.
>
> 	https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/introduction.html#strings
>
> Karsten
> --
> GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B

sorry. I mean why my code worked in one case but did not in the other one.

This worked - os.chdir('D:\Projects\Initiatives\machine learning\programs')

This did not work - os.chdir('D:\Projects\Initiatives\machine learning\programs\assertion')

only difference is, I added an additional directory in the problematic case.