syntax difference

Bart bart at 1
Mon Jun 25 11:58:34 EDT 2018

  To: Steven D'Aprano
From: Bart <bc at freeuk.com>

On 25/06/2018 01:52, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 21:21:57 +0100, Bart wrote:
>
>> I've had half a dozen users
>
> Come back when you've had *half a million users* then we'll take your
> experiences seriously.

That being the case with Python (maybe even ten times as many), why would
anybody here care what I say about it?

So it doesn't a matter at all that you can do:

    math.pi = "Hmm, Pie!"

because there are so many users who don't care.

(Actually I can't remember how many users I had. The language was freely
available as part of an application of which we sold thousands, and was
actually used to help its implementation.

There might have been a dozen people who used it to write add-on products as
well as others who tinkered with it. But it was not then a stand-alone
language; it was part of a 3D graphics app.)

> https://blog.pythonanywhere.com/67/
>
> https://stackoverflow.blog/2017/09/06/incredible-growth-python/
>
> For a language which does everything wrong, it must be doing something
> right.

Well, you certainly you get your money's worth in terms of features and
add-ons.

--
bart

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3