Python for beginners or not? [was Re: syntax difference]

Rick Johnson rick.johnson at 1
Mon Jun 25 11:02:32 EDT 2018

  To: Steven D'Aprano
From: Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com>

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 5:56:04 AM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Nearly everybody misses the fact that the Zen is a joke,
> not to be taken *too* seriously. A particularly subtle
> joke, but still a joke.

The Python Zen is not merely a joke. But it does outline the philosophy of a
Python programmer in a humorous and self- contradicting manner. So while you
shouldn't read the Zen as some sort of religious law, you shouldn't dismiss it
as a joke either. Like a Monty Python skit, the Zen exposes the hypocrisy of
reality and does so in a humorous way.

> Not satisfied with those two ways, Tim invented his own.
>
> https://bugs.python.org/issue3364

BS! If there is one skill that we pythonista's all share, it is an uncanny
ability to glaze over our obvious mistakes with beautiful, sweet lies.

    "A bug???"

    "Whaddya mean a bug?"

    "That's not a bug!"

    "It's a feature!"

    "Here, allow me to explain..."

    [...snip two hours of monologue...]

Alas!

If only we had followed our _true_ calling and became lawyers.

(at least we would have been forced to dress respectively) ;-)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)