Python for beginners or not? [was Re: syntax difference]

jkn jkn at 1
Mon Jun 25 07:15:36 EDT 2018

  To: Paul Moore
From: jkn <jkn_gg at nicorp.f9.co.uk>

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 12:17:29 PM UTC+1, Paul  Moore wrote:
> On 25 June 2018 at 11:53, Steven D'Aprano
>
> > And the specific line you reference is *especially* a joke, one which
> > flies past nearly everyone's head:
> >
> > There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
> >

> > Notice the dashes? There are *two* traditional ways to use an pair of em-
> > dashes for parenthetical asides:
> >
> > 1. With no space--like this--between the parenthetical aside and the text;
> >
> > 2. With a single space on either side -- like this -- between the aside
> > and the rest of the text.
> >
> > Not satisfied with those two ways, Tim invented his own.
> >

> > https://bugs.python.org/issue3364
> >

> > (Good grief, its been nearly ten years since that bug report. I remember
> > it like it was yesterday.)
>
> Thank you for that bit of history! I never knew that (and indeed had
> missed that part of the joke). Tim's contributions to Python are
> always to be treasured :-)
>
> Paul

Goodness, I too had missed that particular (admittedly subtle) joke, and I have
 an interest in orthography and typesetting etc. (as well as pedanticism ;-o).

Yes, Tim Peters' contribution to python, and this newsgroup in days of yore,
were to be treasured. Luckily the wisdom and measured tone he and other early
pioneers modelled are (mostly) still with us here on comp.lang.python.

    Jon N (here since 1999 or so...)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)