syntax difference

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jun 24 15:02:44 EDT 2018

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 19:37:33 +0100, Bart wrote:

> I want to program in /my/ style

Python is not Java, and Java is not Python either. Nor is it "Bart's
Language", or C, or Forth, or Lisp, or bash.

https://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html

https://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/java-is-not-python-either.html

To get the best out of any language, you should try to program to its
strengths, in the idioms that work, not insist on writing FooLanguage
code in BarLanguage.

Hammers are great tools. So are screwdrivers. But you wouldn't use a
screwdriver to hammer nails, or hammer screws, would you?

You'd probably be pretty frustrated if one of your users (ahem) insisted
on duplicating the form and structure of their bash scripts in your
language, and complaining bitterly about how your language sucks because
it isn't bash.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson