syntax difference

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 11:38:22 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 1:02 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 00:46:00 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

>>> Because its just you who spends 90% of his time here complaining about
>>> how Python does it wrong.
>>
>> ... and spends 95% of that time demonstrating his utter lack of
>> understanding of how Python does it at all. It's wrong even though you
>> don't understand how it actually works.
>
> Be fair. It's more like 50% of the time.
>
> Let's not dogpile onto Bart. He asked a question, I answered it, we don't
> all need to sink the boot in as well.

Fair. Still, it does seem that most of the criticisms are based on
ignorance, not reasoned disagreement. For instance, I could argue that
Python's model of "variables are local if written to, otherwise
they're looked up globally" is a poor choice, because I have
extensively used Python AND other (C-like) models. Or I could argue
that Python really ought to support "foo bar baz"/" " as a syntax for
string splitting, because I've used Python's way of doing things, and
have also used something that works differently. But I cannot argue
that Python should have mutable strings, because I've never used a
modern language that has them, so I don't know what the tradeoffs are.
Thus you don't hear me pushing for it.

ChrisA