Introducing Coconut

justin walters walters.justin01 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 10:53:48 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 5:51 AM, Steven D'Aprano <
steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> Coconut, the functional programming language which compiles to Python:
>
> http://coconut.readthedocs.io/en/master/FAQ.html
>
> http://coconut-lang.org/
>
> (Its not my language. I just think its cool.)
>

> --
> Steven D'Aprano
> "Ever since I learned about confirmation bias, I've been seeing
> it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson
>
> --

As someone who has been studying Elixir and Phoenix lately, This is pretty
neat.

There have definitely been some pieces of my Python projects that could
have benefited from a
Functional structure.

I don't think writing an entire project in Cocounut would be worth while.
At that point, why not use an actual FP language?
However, I do think it sounds useful for when certain parts of a project
could be cleaned up
or optimized with functional code. Almost like a better `functools`.

All that said though, I am interested to see performance metrics for the
transpiled python.