Quick survey: locals in comprehensions (Python 3 only)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jun 24 01:03:20 EDT 2018

I'd like to run a quick survey. There is no right or wrong answer, since
this is about your EXPECTATIONS, not what Python actually does.

Given this function:

def test():
    a = 1
    b = 2
    result = [value for key, value in locals().items()]
    return result

what would you expect the result of calling test() to be? Is that the
result you think is most useful? In your opinion, is this a useful
feature, a misfeature, a bug, or "whatever"?

I'm only looking for answers for Python 3. (The results in Python 2 are
genuinely weird :-)

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson