translating foreign data

Peter J. Holzer peter.j..holzer at 1
Sat Jun 23 15:28:30 EDT 2018

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-python at hjp.at>

--drblskvcly73v23o

On 2018-06-23 08:12:52 -0400, Richard Damon wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 06:26:22 -0400, Richard Damon wrote:
> >> If you know the Locale, then you do know what the decimal separator is,
> >> as that is part of what a locale defines.
> > A locale defines a set of common cultural conventions. It doesn't manda=
te=20
> > the actual conventions in use in any specific document.
> >
> > If I'm in Australia, using the en-AU locale, nevertheless I can generat=
e=20
> > a file using , as a decimal separator. Try and stop me :-)
> yes, you can MIS-use the en-AU locale and write 1,000 to mean the number
> One, just as you can misuse the language and write cat when you mean a
> member of the Canine group, but then the misinterpretation is on the
> creator of the document, not on the program that was told how the
> document is to be read.

How would he mis-use the en-AU locale to write 1 as "1,000"? I think to do that
 he would simply NOT use the locale.

I think there are very good reasons to ignore the locale for specific purposes.
 For example, a Python interpreter should not use the locale when parsing
Python, and a program producing Python should also ignore the locale.

You two also seem to be writing about different things when you write "THE
locale". Steven seems to mean the global settings a user has chosen, you seem
to mean the specidic settings appropriate for parsing a specific file.

        hp

--=20
| |   | hjp at hjp.at         | management tools.

--drblskvcly73v23o