syntax difference

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:52:31 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:41 AM,  <bart4858 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you're getting a programming language mixed up with a bunch of random libraries.
>
> If you want to do any actual coding rather than scripting, such as implementing some of that stuff, then this is where those basic language features that are missing from core Python become useful.

ALL of those features are part of the Python standard library. Every
one of them is something you can do with a plain vanilla Python
installation. They are useful for real-world coding, scripting, or
whatever you want to call it.

> What do you do in python when a local function variable needs to retain its value? I'm sure it can do it, but I bet it's not as simple as how I do it.

What do you mean, "retain its value"? Do you mean the way closures work?

> Multi-level loop break? Separators in numbers? I think that one is finally in.

Multi-level loop break is most commonly spelled "return". In over two
decades of programming, the number of times I've needed to break out
of multiple loops without breaking out of an entire function can be
counted on the fingers of one hand. Specifically, three times. In
nearly three decades.

> You can have all your libraries /and/ have fundamental language features at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

Of course! Funnily enough, that's what I have with Python. Do you have
both, or do you only have checkbox language features?

ChrisA