syntax difference

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 07:16:55 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Bart <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 19/06/2018 11:45, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 8:33 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, I get it, you like your language to have lots and lots and lots of
>>> syntax to do *slightly* different things. But it doesn't seem to be so
>>> good at doing application level functionality. Its basically just a less
>>> efficient, slightly prettier C.
>>

>> With the word "dynamic" in its description, of course. That's VERY
>> important. C is not a dynamic language. Bart's language is dynamic.
>> That makes it unimaginably better.
>>
>> ChrisA
>>

> What does 'dynamic' mean?

Good question. You're the one who called your language "dynamic".

> For many it just means that variables have dynamic type. Which is exactly
> what mine has (and with automatic memory management which goes along with
> that).

So what does it mean for a variable to have dynamic type, then?

Automatic memory management is different again. You can have typed
variables (often called static typing), typed data (often called
dynamic typing), and automatic garbage collection. They're all
completely orthogonal. And they're not absolutes, although I don't
often see partially-typed-data in a language. (Partially-typed
variables are common.) If you're not using "dynamic typing" to mean
"values have types", you're going to have to define it.

ChrisA