syntax difference

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 19 06:33:34 EDT 2018

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 10:19:15 +0100, Bart wrote:

> * Swap(x,y) (evaluate each once unlike a,y=y,x)

Sigh. Really? You think x,y = y,x evaluates x and y twice?

The rest of your list seemed like a very nice list of low-level
operations, if you want a low-level language with lots of redundancy and
functional duplication. Like:

* Integer sets (Pascal-like sets)

Why do you need them if you have real sets?

* Increment/decrement ops

Why do you need them if you have + and - operators?

* Stop or 'stop x'

Why do you need a syntactic feature if a simple exit() function could do
the job?

* Dedicated loop statements for endless loop and repeat N times

Why do you need them when regular while and for loops will work?

(Mind you, I do like the N-way select.)

But Python isn't a low-level language. You make a big deal of having
named constants. Okay, great. Do you support Unicode strings and
Decimals? Does your language come with a functioning web server? Can it
send email straight out of the box?

Yeah, I get it, you like your language to have lots and lots and lots of
syntax to do *slightly* different things. But it doesn't seem to be so
good at doing application level functionality. Its basically just a less
efficient, slightly prettier C.

Assuming that people who aren't you can even get it to compile. When I
tried, it wouldn't compile on my computer.

Oh, with your pointer syntax -- how do you guarantee that your language
is safe?

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson