syntax difference

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 19 06:12:47 EDT 2018

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 11:34:40 -0700, Jim Lee wrote:

>> What, fundamentally, is the difference between type hints and
>> assertions, such that - in
>> your view - one gets syntax and the other is just comments?
> Type hints are just that - hints.  They have no syntactic meaning to the
> parser, and do not affect the execution path in any way. Therefore, they
> are effectively and actually comments.  The way they have been
> implemented, though, causes noise to be interspersed with live code and,
> as others have said, are difficult to remove or ignore.

So let me get this straight...

Using annotations is evil, because it intersperses noise with live code:

def function(argument: int,
             flag: bool,
             sequence: list) -> str:

But using comments is great, because it doesn't:

def function(argument,  # type=int,
             flag,  # type=bool,
             sequence, # type=list):  # type=str

Okay, I'm glad we cleared that up.