syntax difference

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 19 05:09:33 EDT 2018

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 10:01:58 -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> [...]
>> particular at DropBox, which is (I believe) funding a lot of Guido's
>> time on this, because they need it.
>
> And now we get to the truth!
>
> Guido's new puppet master is the sole reason why this fine community --
> of once free-roaming *STALLIONS*-- is now corralled and saddled with
> type-hints!

I know that Rick's attitude towards reality is that facts are only for
other people, and that once he has made up his mind nothing will budge
it, *especially* not facts, but for anyone reading this who might be
fooled into imagining that Rick has a point, really, no.

People have been requesting static typing in Python virtually since Day
1, and certainly since Python 1.5. Guido has been talking about it
publicly since at least 2004:

https://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=85551

a few years before DropBox was even a startup.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson