syntax difference

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:46:28 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 5:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano <
steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 21:03:14 +0100, Bart wrote:
>
> > In the case of Python, it is
> > already so big and has so many features crammed in that adding type
> > hints probably makes little difference.
>
> You've never used C++ have you?
>
> Describing Python as a "big" language is ludicrous.

Actually, I think Python is getting a bit big. I feel like there may be a
push to add "important" features to 3.x to make people want to move off of
2.x.  But that's making it hard for the many other implementations of
Python to catch up (and stay caught up).

What would I remove, if Python weren't used in production all over the
world?

map and filter.  metaclasses.  List comprehensions.  "feature strings" (AKA
"f strings").  And that new := assignment expression makes me shudder -
that's something I haven't missed at all since I switched from C to Python.

I'm pleased that machine int's and long's were unified.

Great languages are small but extensible, easy to read, and don't require
learning a lot before you can get started writing code or reading someone
else's code.

Great languages: C and Scheme.  And Python.

But isn't Lua smaller than Python?  That thought worries me a little.