Folk etymology, was Re: Python list vs google group

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jun 18 21:53:52 EDT 2018

On Monday 18 June 2018 19:24:14 Jim Lee wrote:

> On 06/18/2018 04:09 PM, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> > Peter Otten wrote:
> >> "folk etymology" would be the retrofitting of the exotic "Schottky"
> >> into two familiar words "shot" and "key". Sometimes the writer
> >> assumes that these words are somehow related to the labeled object.
> >
> > Well, there is a thing called "shot noise", and you can probaby
> > get it from a Shottky diode under some circumstances, but
> > Shottky is definitely someone's name. (Walter H. Shottky, to
> > be specific.)
>
> FWIW, we used to call them barrier diodes, or sometimes hot carrier
> diodes, until the name "Schottky" became commonplace in, what, the mid
> 80s or so?
>
> -Jim

More like the early 70's. I spent from 70, to late 77 keeping one of
Nebraska ETV's 3rd of a megawatt transmitters on the air. One of the
support engineers brought up a 10 pack of the first HP schottkey diodes
up and made the claim that it was a 98% efficient rectifier at 500 mhz.
So I removed the twin vacuum tube diode (a 6AL5) that wasn't capable of
delivering a volt of video from a monitoring test point into astd 75 ohm
load, and soldered one of this new HP diodes in its place.  I had to
lift it back out of its mount nearly 3/4" just to get it down to one
volt.  It didn't take me long to modify the other 5.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)