Technical altitude, was Re: Python list vs google group

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 18 10:21:37 EDT 2018

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:59:58 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:

> Other than that I find it hard to believe that a "bean counter" can
> change a technical spec. He may put pressure on the designer, but when
> the designer gives in he's still responsible for the resulting technical
> problems.

Surely it depends on how dysfunctional the organisation is, and whether
or not they are answerable to independent standards. Ultimately, the
engineers answer to management, and if management treat them as drones
that have to do what they're told instead of experts that can make
decisions for themselves, anything is possible.

When you hear of technical disasters like tens of thousands of cars
having to be recalled, or laptop batteries catching fire, or similar
problems, we almost never find out whether this was an unavoidable
failure, a technical mistake by the designers, or a case of managerial
interference.

Fortunately I've avoided having to work in that sort of environment, but
my wife used to work in the entertainment industry where that sort of
managerial interference is the rule, not the exception.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson