syntax difference

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 20:22:08 EDT 2018

On 06/17/2018 02:17 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> [snip]
> My apologies, stuff wrapped and I misread as I skimmed back. You were
> the one who used the word "shoehorned". In the same way, that sounds
> like you already knew the language, and then someone added extra
> features that don't fit. It's not shoehorning if the feature was
> already there before you met the language.
>
> The point is the same, the citation incorrect. Mea culpa.
>
> ChrisA

Of course it is "shoehorning".  Why do you care when I started using the
language?  Shoehorning implies an attempt to add a feature that didn't
exist in the original design - a feature that is a difficult, awkward,
or ill-fitting complement to the original design.  Whether it happened
yesterday or 12 years ago is immaterial.  When I personally met the
language is also immaterial.

Microsoft "shoehorned" a Linux subsystem into Windows.  I don't even use
Windows, yet by your logic, I can't call it "shoehorning".

-Jim