syntax difference

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:35:40 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 6:23 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com>:
>> IMHO, trying to shoehorn static type checking on top of a dynamically
>> typed language shows that the wrong language was chosen for the job.
>
> I'm also saddened by the type hinting initiative. When you try to be
> best for everybody, you end up being best for nobody. The niche Python
> has successfully occupied is huge. Why risk it all by trying to take the
> whole cake?

Did you complain when function annotations were introduced back in 2006?

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3107/

That's TWELVE YEARS ago. Over in the Node.js world, that's ... uhh,
actually that's longer ago than Node.js has even been around. Another
trendy language is Go... oh wait, that wasn't around in 2006 either.

Type annotations have been in Python for nearly twelve years; ten if
you count the actual release of Python 3.0. The thing that changed
more recently was that *non-type* annotations were deprecated, since
very few use-cases were found. When did the shoehorning happen,
exactly?

ChrisA