Posting warning message

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Fri Jun 15 04:17:07 EDT 2018

On 14Jun2018 21:09, Tamara Berger <brgrt2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 4:32:56 AM UTC-4, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> This is one reason to prefer the mailing list. You can subscribe here:
[...]
>> Wait for the first message or so and for that message choose GMail's "filter
>> messages like this" action. I like to choose "Apply the label Python" and "Skip
>> the inbox" for such things. Then you'll get a nice little "Python" mail folder
>> in your collection where the list will accumulate. And less spam than the
>> Group.
>
>Sounds great, Cameron. But Gmail doesn't give me the options "Apply the label
>Python" and "Skip the inbox" under "Filter messages like this." I just get the
>generic To, From, Has the words, Doesn't have.

The first panel with to/from etc is just the message selection panel. It
probably has the "includes the words" field already filled in with something
that will match a python-list message. When you click "Create filter with this
search" you get another panel with what to do with matching messages.

I usually:

- skip the Inbox
- apply the label: click the "Choose label" dropdown and create a new label
  "python" or whatever suits you
- also apply filter to matching conversations, which will gather up all the
  list messages that have already arrived and filter them, too

Also note that you don't need a label per list. I file a few mailing lists in
the same "python" folder.

Alternatively, you might make a label per list; note that you can put a slash
in a label eg "python/python-list" and GMail will treat that as a hierarchy,
making a "python" category on the left with "python-list" underneath it. Might
be handy of you join several lists and want to group them.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>