OFF-TOPIC Good sig [was Re: What is the "Unpacking Arguments List" rule?]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jun 13 11:59:54 EDT 2018

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:43:12 +0000, Alister via Python-list wrote:

> I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't
> prove it.

Heh, that reminds me of Stephen Pinker's comment from "Enlightenment Now":

"one cannot reason that there's no such thing as reason"

but on the other hand, Kurt Gödel successfully proved using mathematics
that (sufficiently powerful) maths is either inconsistent or incomplete,
and we can never tell which. In a sense, Gödel proved that it is
impossible to prove *certain* things which are true, or disprove some
which are false, but we have no way of proving which are which.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson