Why exception from os.path.exists()?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jun 13 09:04:53 EDT 2018

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:10:03 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-python at hjp.at>:
[...]
>> I wasn't entirely clear here. What I meant is that POSIX systems, as a
>> group, provide no such way.
>
> I still don't see how POSIX is directly relevant here.

Linux users like to sneer at Windows users for believing that Windows is
a synonym for "computer", that what Windows does is what all computers
do, but Linux users (especially if they're also C programmers) sometimes
have a hard time remembering that "what POSIX does" is no more a
universal limitation on computing than "what Windows does".

(And ironically, Linux doesn't even have POSIX certification.)

That is, when they're not blindly writing shell scripts using bashisms
and expecting them to work under any shell :-)

I still would like to see one real-world use-case where the distinction
between "file name is invalid because it has NUL" and "file name is
invalid for any of a dozen other reasons" is necessary and important.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson