Why exception from os.path.exists()?

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jun 11 02:52:05 EDT 2018

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Hmmm... you know I might just be able to do that. Write a file to a
> floppy, then mount it under Linux.

That still might not tell you much. The Linux system will need
a filesystem driver that understands the Mac HFS file system,
which is what your classic Mac system will be writing. And that
driver will have its own way of handling file names with
slashes in them, probably by substituting something else.
So you still won't know what's actually stored on the disk.

The only way to be really sure would be to make a dump of
the raw disk contents and go looking for the file name in it.

> (The march of technology is sometimes a nuisance.)

BTW, another problem there would be if your Mac was old
enough, it would be using a variable speed floppy drive,
which I doubt any PC-based system would be able to cope
with...

--
Greg