Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sun Jun 10 17:09:31 EDT 2018

On 2018-06-10 15:24:38 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:25:24 +0200, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > Personally, I would let the author decide what constitutes one work.
>
> Ah yes...
>
> Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menace,
> Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Rogue One, Force Awakens, Last
> Jedi, Solo... they're all chapters in one work, yes?

Yes, that would be possible. But there were 40+ years between the
release of Star Wars and the release of Solo, so if George Lucas had
decided to wait until the series is complete before registering it for
copyright, he either couldn't have published it yet (Episode IX is
scheduled for next year) or he would have published the parts without
protection (effectively making them public domain).

So Lucas would have registered Star Wars in 1977, and when the Empire
Strikes Back came out in 1980, he would have had the option to register
it as a separate work or to register the series consisting of both
films. Wouldn't have made a difference since he would have had to
continue to pay for Star Wars to prevent it from falling into the public
domain.

At some point he probably would have decided that continued copyright
protection wasn't worth the cost, so the first three episodes would be
public domain by now (If the doubling period is only one year. The
article I read suggested different doubling periods for different kind
of works: 1 year for patents, 3 years for books, ... It also depends on
the initial fee: Start at $1 (a token amount), $100 (may cover the cost
of having a person actually looking at it), $1000, ...?)

        hp