Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jun 10 09:03:57 EDT 2018

Chris Angelico wrote:
> You cannot, to
> my knowledge, publish a game for the PS4 or Xbox 360 without
> permission from Nintendo or Microsoft.

That's because, since we *do* have copyright laws, the
manufacturers of the consoles are able to make money by
selling the software as well as the hardware -- and they
want a monopoly on that source of income.

If there was no copyright, they wouldn't be able to
make money from the software side alone, so there would
be no incentive for them to lock things down that way.
The opposite, in fact -- the more games are available
for a machine, the more people are going to want to
buy it.

> Nobody can sell software without also selling
> hardware, which is an expensive industry to get into.

I don't follow what you're saying here. Are you suggesting
that nobody would write any software for someone else's
hardware if they couldn't sell it for money? Experience
with the open source community that we do have suggests
otherwise.

--
Greg