Problem finding my folder via terminal

T Berger brgrt2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 13:48:09 EDT 2018

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 5:05:25 AM UTC-4, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 09Jun2018 02:37, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> >On Saturday 09 June 2018 01:36:17 Tamara Berger wrote:
> >> Re inline style: When I hit reply, this is the window I get.
>
> The python-list server strips attachments, so I didn't get the screenshot you
> may have attached. However...
>
> >> I don't
> >> get my previous email with the carets appended to the beginning of the
> >> line.
>
> I've just gone to my GMail and tried a reply. In my reply compose window there
> is a little button at the bottom left with three dots in it, thus: "[...]",
> kind of. Click that, it expands to the prior quoted text. Then you can trim it
> and insert your responses.
>
> >> Before I look at the rest of your email, I'd like for you to explain
> >> how there is a mymodule folder nested within another mymodule folder.
> >> I don't see this second folder in Finder, and I definitely didn't
> >> create it.
> >
> >Finder, if thats what you are using, I am not familiar with it, is
> >probably showing you that which it has cached, before that folder was
> >created.  Back out one layer and go back in so it actually reads a fresh
> >copy of that directory(folder).
>
> The Finder uses MacOS' equivalent of Linux' inotify: its folder views are
> "live" and update as soon as anything changes.
>
> Tamara, there are things the Finder won't show, particularly "hidden" files,
> which is an attribute you can assign to folders. Maybe that is what happened.
> I've got no concrete explaination, and I can't inspect your machine directly.
> Also, how sure are you that the "mymodules" in the Finder is the upper one and
> not the lower one? Just guessing here.
>
> My opinion is that you did create it, but not realised how that happened.
>
> All you'd need to do is something like this:
>
>   cd Desktop
>   mkdir mymodules
>   cd mymodules
>   ... get distracted, do something else, come back much later ...
>   mkdir mymodules
>   cd mymodules
>   ... proceed to make the setup.py and so forth ...
>
> i.e. just do it twice. Alternatively, and this is a common one, you got a
> template archive, such as a zip file, containing an "empty" module to get you
> started. And did something like this:
>
>   cd Desktop
>   mkdir mymodules
>   cd mymodules
>   unzip the-empty-module-template.zip
>
> If the zip file itself also contained a top level "mymodules" folder in it, it
> will have made the second "mymodules" inside the one you made.
>
> Most archive files are set up to have their entire contents inside a single top
> folder, so this scenario isn't all that unlikely.
>
> A third possibility is that you made a mymodules somewhere else (such as in
> your top level home directory), and later decided to put it on your Desktop to
> [...]

Hi Cameron,

I want to read your last two emails in the evening when I have more time to digest the information, but I have a quick question now. I made the correction you suggested to mymodule and went on to create a source distribution file. Then I got stuck again when trying to install my module into site-packages. I think I got a permission error. How do I fix this? Here is the coding from the shell:

Last login: Sat Jun  9 13:16:15 on ttys000
192:~ TamaraB$ cd Desktop/mymodules/dict
-bash: cd: Desktop/mymodules/dict: No such file or directory
192:~ TamaraB$ cd Desktop/mymodules/dist
192:dist TamaraB$ sudo python3 -m pop install vsearch-1.0.tar.gz
Password:

There is a symbol of a key after the word "Password."

Thanks,

Tamara