Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 21:13:46 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 03:54:25 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> (Whether linking to a third-party Youtube video is itself a violation of
>> the original author's copyright is even more complicated. IANAL and I am
>> not going to even think about how messy that situation could get.)
>
> Describing a link to a Youtube video as copyright infringement is an
> incredibly egregious example of copyright creep. Such a link in no way
> copies the copyrighted work, nor does it distribute the work.
>
> (The video itself may or may not infringe, but that's another question.)
>
> It might be argued that it *facilitates copyright infringement*, in the
> same way telling people that they can buy a crowbar from Bunnings
> facilitates breaking and entering. But it does not and should not be
> considered copyright infringement under any circumstances.

It was the "facilitates" part that I was referring to. If the video in
question infringes, and I share a link to it, am I guilty of sharing
something around? What if the original owner uploaded it as an
unlisted video, and I share that link around? What if the uploader
(who is not the owner) legitimately stayed within "fair use", but I
piece together the entire original from a bunch of links, creating a
playlist with all of the content, and share that?

I'm sure there are legal answers to all of those questions, but it's
definitely hairy territory.

ChrisA