Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 20:15:43 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 6:59 AM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>>> So those with the most money can buy the most protection?
>>
>> Yes, or more specifically, those who believe they can make the most
>> money from that protection. Ownership becomes pay-to-win, literally.
>
> In the words of Scrooge McDuck:

> But guys, surely you are familiar with the exponential function:
>
>  * Everybody can afford a year for $1.

$1 per what, though? According to GitHub, I have 157 repositories. Is
that 157 separate things that cost $1 for a single year of protection?
Or do I pay per file of source code?

>  * Every worthwhile creation is worth $1,000 for ten years.

Not true by a long shot, and if you don't believe me, you can pay me
$1000 right now for ten years' use of any of my free software.

>  * And if Disney can pay the fee for Mickey Mouse for fifty years, the
>    United States Government can quit all taxation, pay off the national
>    debt and buy every American a luxury yacht and a private island in
>    the Caribbean.

And if you think that Disney would actually let it compound according
to your theoretical definition, you're a dupe AND a fool. They'd
figure out some way to reset the counter every five years.

ChrisA