Why exception from os.path.exists()?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Thu Jun 7 04:04:53 EDT 2018

On 07-06-18 05:55, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Python strings are rich objects which support the Unicode code point \0
> in them. The limitation of the Linux kernel that it relies on NULL-
> terminated byte strings is irrelevant to the question of what
> os.path.exists ought to do when given a path containing NUL. Other
> invalid path names return False.

It is not irrelevant. It makes the disctinction clear between possible
values and impossible values. Now you personnaly may find that distinction
of minor importance but it is a relevant distinction in discussing how
to treat it.

> As a Python programmer, how does treating NUL specially make our life
> better?

By treating possible path values differently from impossible path values.

--
Antoon.