site package does not work

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:23:17 EDT 2018

On 06/05/2018 01:33 PM, Erik Martinson via Python-list wrote:
> I am trying to dynamically add a site-package to a script that is run as a cron job. The method adduseristepackages does not seem to do anything.
>
> import sys
> import site
>
> print('-------------------------')print(site.getusersitepackages())
> print('add', site.addusersitepackages('/home/erik/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages'))
> print(site.getusersitepackages())
> print(site.getsitepackages())
> print(site.check_enableusersite())
>

> output:-------------------------
> /root/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
> add /home/erik/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
> /root/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
> ['/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python3.6/dist-packages']
> True
>

> Thanks,
> Erik

It seems you are trying to run your script from the root cron job rather
than the user's cron job, and then trying to add a user site directory
to root's site path.  From the docs:

|site.||ENABLE_USER_SITE|

    Flag showing the status of the usersite-packages
    directory.|True|means that it is enabled and was added
    to|sys.path|.|False|means that it was disabled by user request
    (with|-s|
    <https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#cmdoption-s>or|PYTHONNOUSERSITE|
    <https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#envvar-PYTHONNOUSERSITE>).|None|means
    it was disabled for security reasons (mismatch between user or group
    id and effective id) or by an administrator.

So perhaps a mismatch between UID/GID and EID is causing the whole
process to silently fail... ||

-Jim