Attachments (was: How can an int be '+' with a tuple?)

Mon Jun 4 22:40:55 EDT 2018

On 6/4/18 12:34 PM, Peter Pearson wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 20:20:32 +0200, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:
> [snip]
>> On 2018-06-03 13:57:26 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>>> (For good reasons, attachments are dropped when messages are distributed
>>> on the forum.)
>> By "the forum" you mean Gmane? (I got the attachment over the mailing
>> list)
> Comp.lang.python is a usenet newsgroup, also accessible through a mailing
> list (and, I think, a web interface).  NNTP, the Network News Transfer
> Protocol, does not provide for attachments.

NNTP most certainly can provide for attachments, and I would guess that
well over 90% of the traffic (might even be 99%) on usenet is carried in
attachments. Just wander over to the swamp of alt.binaries.*

Now, most news servers are configured to discard most attachments on
messages (or the whole message if it has an attachment) if posted to a
group not specifically marked as a 'binary' newsgroup, just like a lot
of mailing list are similarly setup.

--
Richard Damon