Why exception from os.path.exists()?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 4 09:23:59 EDT 2018

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 13:33:28 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:

> But there's also the question of what capability the kernel API has to
> express the queries. The fact that the Unix API (and the Windows one, in
> most cases - although as Eryk Sun pointed out there are exceptions in
> the Windows kernel API) uses NUL-terminated strings means that querying
> the filesystem about filenames with embedded \0 characters isn't
> possible *at the OS level*.

I don't know whether or not the Linux OS is capable of accessing files
with embedded NULs in the file name. But Mac OS is capable of doing so,
so it should be possible. Wikipedia says:

"HFS Plus mandates support for an escape sequence to allow arbitrary
Unicode. Users of older software might see the escape sequences instead
of the desired characters."

Apple File System is an even more modern FS (it replaced HFS Plus in 2017
as Apple's preferred OS) which supports all Unicode code points,
including NUL.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson