Why exception from os.path.exists()?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jun 2 20:33:20 EDT 2018

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 11:47:40 +1200, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Paul Moore wrote:
>> Windows (the kernel) has the
>> capability to implement fork(), but this isn't exposed via the Win32
>> API. To implement fork() you need to go to the raw kernel layer. Which
>> is basically what the Windows Linux subsystem (bash on Windows 10) does
>
> What people usually mean by "POSIX compliant" is not "it's possible to
> implement the POSIX API on top of it".

What people usually mean by "POSIX compliant" is "Unix or Linux".

But that's not what the POSIX standard requires. It requires a set of
APIs. I doubt it cares where or how they are implemented.

> By that definition, a raw PC without any software is POSIX compliant.

Do you really mean to say that a computer that won't boot is POSIX
compliant? Yeah, good luck getting that one past the user acceptance
testing.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson