syntax question

Timo Furrer tuxtimo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 07:21:06 EDT 2018

https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/controlflow.html#lambda-expressions

> Small anonymous functions can be created with the lambda
<https://docs.python.org/3/reference/expressions.html#lambda> keyword. This
function returns the sum of its two arguments: lambda a, b: a+b. Lambda
functions can be used wherever function objects are required. They are
syntactically restricted to a single expression. Semantically, they are
just syntactic sugar for a normal function definition.

Thus, in your case the lambda is equivalent to:

def line(x):
    return x + 3

Cheers, Timo