Indented multi-line strings

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:57:58 EDT 2018

On 1 June 2018 at 15:36, Dan Strohl via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> So... how does one go about suggesting changes to the built in types?  I could take a whack at the code for it, but my C skills are no where near what should probably be needed for something this close to the core of the language.  I'm not sure if adding a couple of methods is a PEP type of thing.

It would probably have to go via python-ideas, but if it gets the OK
there I doubt it would need a PEP.

There are a few key questions I'd expect to see come up.

Why does this need to be a string method? Why can't it be a standalone
function? Maybe you should publish an implementation on PyPI, collect
some data on how popular it is, and then if it's widely used, propose
it for inclusion in the stdlib at that point? By making it a string
method, you're also restricting its use to users of recent versions of
Python, whereas a PyPI implementation would work for everyone.

None of these are showstoppers - many proposals have got past them -
but it's worth having at least thought through your answers to them,
so you can present the idea in the best light.

Paul