Why did logging not undergo PEP8 API change?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 09:58:08 EDT 2018

In the run-up to Python 3, the threading module's API went from a
Java-reminiscent set of names to a PEP-9 set of names, so
threading.currentThread became threading.current_thread. Also (though
they didn't get a change in case), some of the set/get methods in
threading.Thread received the property treatment with admonition in
the module documentation to use the property style.

Why wasn't the logging package similarly updated? I imagine there
might have been some python-dev discussion about this, but have yet to
find anything. I found this thread here from 2009:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2009-April/thread.html#533823

There was some discussion of the idea (before the thread predictably
wandered off into the weeds). I've not found anything else obviously
related to the topic. Perhaps it was nothing more than that the
threading module had a PEP-8 champion while logging didn't?

Skip