Using Python on a fork-less POSIX-like OS

Barath Aron baratharon at caesar.elte.hu
Fri Jul 27 13:13:37 EDT 2018

Hello Python list,

I intend to cross-compile Python v3.6.6 to Threos ( https://threos.io )
operating system. Threos is supports a quite large set from POSIX and
C89/C99. Unfortunately, Threos lacks fork(2), but provides
posix_spawn(3) instead. I already made some local changes in
posixmodule.c to compile due to some features are detected as present
but actually not supported, like HAVE_FORK -- I blame autotools for this
:-). I don't know, however, whether the Python shall cross-compile
without issues.

My question is that the _posixsubprocess.c can be prepared to use
posix_spawn(3) instead of fork(2)? Maybe the UNIX/Linux version can also
benefit from it, see: https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/ruby-posix-spawn

Best regards,
Aron