coding style - where to declare variables

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Mon Jul 23 05:16:08 EDT 2018

"Marko Rauhamaa"  wrote in message news:87zhyitjz2.fsf at elektro.pacujo.net...

> People new to Python are unnecessarily confused by talking about names
> and binding when it's really just ordinary variables and assignment. It
> seems to be mostly some sort of marketing lingo that seeks to create an
> air of mystique around Python.

I don't think that is a fair comment.

I am not qualified to enter the debate itself, but as an 'outsider' I can
offer two thoughts -

1. It seems that, whatever terminology we come up with, some other language
will use similar terminology, but with a subtly different meaning. Newcomers
to Python coming from that other language often get confused because they
make certain assumptions, based on their other experience, which turn out to
be unfounded in Python.

2. My 'aha' moment came early on when I read somewhere that Python objects
have 3 attributes - a type, a value, and a unique id. One thing that they do
*not* have is a name. Once I understood that, a lot of things became
clearer.

Frank Millman