copy and paste with a program called clipboard

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jul 19 13:42:30 EDT 2018

On 7/19/2018 11:47 AM, no at none.invalid wrote:
> I just installed Python 3.7

What machine (OS)?
How did you install Python?
How are you running it?

> The instructions say to highlight some text and press enter to copy
> text.

What instructions?  This is not standard, at least not on Windows.

> You are supposed to just right click with the mouse to paste text.

What happens when you right click depends on the program you are
interacting with.  When you select and right-click in the current
Windows 10 console, used for Command Prompt, PowerShell, Python, and
other programs, the selection disappears.  I just discovered that it
also copies to the clipboard.  I also just discovered that right click
without a selection pastes the current clipboard contents.  (I usually
use ^X, ^C, and ^V.)  Since the console is in the process of being
improved, I have no idea how long this has been true.

IDLE's editor-based windows have a context menu with Cut, Copy, and Paste.

> I use a very useful program called Clipmate that captures from the
> clipboard and keeps a list of clipboard captures and I can menu pick
> what I want to paste from the clipboard.

If I understand, Clipmate is supposed to get a signal when the clipboard
changes to it can grab (copy) the new text and add it to its clipboard
history list.

> This doesn't not seem to be working as nothing happens when I try to
> select text and right click in the command window with the mouse.

As before, what OS and commmand window?  And at least for Windows, version?

--
Terry Jan Reedy