Glyphs and graphemes [was Re: Cult-like behaviour]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jul 17 02:38:58 EDT 2018

On 7/16/2018 7:02 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>> On Jul 16, 2018, at 3:28 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>> If one is using a broader definition than usual, it is clearer to say so.

This is the core of what I wrote.  Do you disagree?

> You are defining a variable/fixed width codepoint set.

No, I did not define anything.  I said, I believe accurately, that this
is the, or at least one common understanding of 'variable/fixed width
encoding.  To repeat, it one is writing to be understood, rather than
create an effect, and one uses a word or phrase in a non-standard
fashion (which I myself do occasionally), then it is clearer to say what
one is doing (which I try to also do).

--
Terry Jan Reedy