Glyphs and graphemes [was Re: Cult-like behaviour]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 16 21:21:15 EDT 2018

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 19:02:36 -0400, Richard Damon wrote:

> You are defining a variable/fixed width codepoint set. Many others want
> to deal with CHARACTER sets.

Good luck coming up with a universal, objective, language-neutral,
consistent definition for a character.

> This doesn’t mean that UTF-32 is an awful system, just that it isn’t the
> magical cure that some were hoping for.

Nobody ever claimed it was, except for the people railing that since it
isn't a magically system we ought to go back to the Good Old Days of code
page hell, or even further back when everyone just used ASCII.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson