Users banned

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 16 20:24:03 EDT 2018

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 20:03:39 +0100, Steve Simmons wrote:

> +1  Seems to me Bart is being banned for "being a dick" and "talking
> rubbish" (my words/interpretation) with irritating persistence.

I know that when I first started here, I often talked rubbish. The
difference is, I was willing to listen and consider when people gave
alternate viewpoints. Eventually.

And I know that some people think that I'm sometimes still being a dick.
They're wrong, I'm just charmingly forthright *wink*

Bart is often frustratingly resistant to reasonable argument, and has
been obnoxious in his habit of bringing virtually every conversation into
an opportunity to make a dig at Python.

But neither of these are prohibited by the CoC, neither of these should
be banning offense, and even if they were, he should have had a formal
warning first.

Preferably TWO formal warnings: the first privately, the second publicly,
and only on the third offence a ban.

And I question the fairness of a six month ban, rather than (let's say)
an initial one month ban.

As for banning Rick, when he isn't even posting at the moment, I don't
even have words for that. There's no statute of limitation for murder,
but surely "being obnoxious on the internet" ought to come with a fairly
short period of forgiveness.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson