Glyphs and graphemes [was Re: Cult-like behaviour]

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Jul 16 17:17:14 EDT 2018

Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>:
> Depends on the language: in Spanish, "ch" is it's own letter (at least
> it was when I grew up), so any word containing it should still contain
> it when reversed: "chica" would be "acich".

The Royal Academy broke "ch" and "ll" up into separate letters a decade
or so back. It had become accepted practice in dictionaries way before
that.

In Finnish, "v" and "w" are still ortographic variants of the same
letter. In practice, Finns don't have a problem with computers insisting
they are separate letters.

While the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language has now accepted that
"ñ" is an accented "n", no Finn would think that "ä" is an accented "a"
any more than an English-speaker would think that "G" is an accented "C"
(which it originally was).

Marko