Unicode [was Re: Cult-like behaviour]

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Jul 16 16:32:44 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-16 18:31, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> You say that all you want is a switch to turn off Unicode (and
> replace it with what? Kanji strings? Cyrillic? Shift_JS? no of
> course not, I'm being absurd -- replace it with ASCII, what else
> could any right-thinking person want, right?).

But we already have this.  If I want to turn off Unicode strings, I
type "python2", and if I want to enable Unicode strings, I type
"python3".

While the python world has moved its efforts into improving Python3,
Python2 hasn't suddenly stopped working.  It just stopped receiving
improvements.  If the "old-man shakes-fist at progress" crowd
doesn't like unicode stings in Py3, just keep on using Py2.  You
(generic) won't get arrested.  There are no church^WPython police.

-tkc