Glyphs and graphemes [was Re: Cult-like behaviour]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 16:15:25 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 4:55 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> There is nothing special about diacritics such that we ought to treat
> some combinations like "Ch" (two code points = one character) as "fixed
> width" while others like "â" (two code points = one character) as
> "variable width".

When you reverse a word, do you treat "ch" and "sh" as one character
or two? I'm of the opinion that they're single characters, and thus
this should be "dalokosh":

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Dalokohs_Bar

(It's the Russian for "chocolate" - "шоколад" - transliterated to
English/Latin - "šokolad" or "shokolad" - and then reversed.)

But that's an extremely difficult thing to explain to your average gamer...

ChrisA